Kingdome of Uí Maine or Hy Many
The Holy Island of Inchcleraun or Inis Cloithrinn
granted to Baron Delvin in 1552.
The Seignory of Longford contains the Ancient
Holy Island or Quaker Island which was part of the Kingdom of Ui
Maine. Inchcleraun (Irish: Inis Cloithrinn), also called Quaker Island or Holy Island, is
an island situated in Lough Ree on
theRiver Shannon, in County Longford of central Ireland. which was granted to Baron Delvin in 1552. The island has
the ruins of St. Diarmaid’s Monastery, a monastery founded by Diarmaid the Just in AD 560. These buildings constitute a National Monument.
Inchcleraun island has(143 acres) located in the centre of Lough Ree
, with Knockcroghery
, County Roscommon to its west and Newtowncashel
, County Longford to its east..
This island formerly formed part of the kingdom
of Hy-Many. It is now included in the County Longford. Clothra was the mother of Lughaidh who was, at a
remote period, king of Ireland. “In the reign of Lughaidh the lakes Neagh and Ree began to make their
appearance.” St. Diarmid, patron of Inis Clothrann was brother of St. Fedliminus, who was Bishop of Kilmore;
both were descended from Dathy, the last pagan king of Ireland, who was killed in year 427.
Maine, often Anglicised as Hy
Many, was one of the oldest and largest kingdoms located
in Connacht, Ireland.
Its territory of approximately 1,000 square miles (2,600 km2)
encompassed all of what is now north, east and south County Galway, south
and central County Roscommon, an
area near County
Clare, and at one stage had apparently
subjugated land on the east bank of the Shannon, together with the parish of Lusmagh in Offaly and
included what is known as the Holy Island of County Longford and of ancient Delbhna.
There were two different Ui Maine, the Ui Maine
of Tethbae and the
Uí Maine of Connacht; these tribes were separated by the Shannon River. The
people of the kingdom were descendants of Máine Mór, who won
the territory by warfare. Its sub-kingdoms, also known as lordships, included – among others – Tír
Mogha, Delbhna Nuadat, Síol Anmchadha,
and Máenmaige. These
kingdoms were made up of offshoots of the Uí Maine dynasty, or subject peoples of different
The Uí Maine are among the ancient Irish dynasties still
represented today among the recognised Irish nobility and Chiefs of the Name,
by the O'Kelly of Gallagh and
Tycooly, Prince of Uí Maine and Count of the Holy Roman Empire.
The Fox (O'Kearney) may represent the eastern Uí Maine of Tethbae.
Grant by King Edward to Baron Delvin 1557 of the Holy
Island of Hy Many or Ui Maine
Louqh Ree (for steamer service see pink pages) is
smaller than Derg, being 17 miles in length. Formerly it was called Lough Ribh, and sometimes "Great Lough Allen."
A boat for visiting Lough Ree may be hired at Athlone, with or without rowers. The numerous promontories, bays, and
creeks of the lake greatly add to the charm and variety of its Bcenery, and some of the islands are very beautiful;
but it all wants sun.
This "Lough of the Kings" formed the frontier line
between Hy-Many, the principality of the O'Kellys, on the west, and " Kilkenny West," in the kingdom
of Meath, on the east.
Among several interesting islands we may mention
Jnis Clothrann (or Quaker
Island), named after the sister of Queen Mab (or Meave). On the
highest point of it once stood that queen's palace, and it was on the sunny strand below that she was bathing
when the cowardly Ulster chief struck her dead with a stone from his sling. Professor Stokes states that St.
Dermot is said to have lived here about the year 500; and many remains of churches and buildings remain. "The
monastery of Inisbofin (or White Cow Island) is, in some respects, the most interesting of any upon Lough
Ree, because its foundation is attributed to St. Rioch, the nephew of St. Patrick, ... a Briton or Welshman
by birth." On Bare Island no
hares are now living to explain the name; they have relinquished it in favour of the later tenant, Lord
Castlemaine. On the western shore is the interesting ruin of Randoum Castle, "a famous spot
in Irish history for the last 2000 years." In ancient times it was called John's (Eoin) House after a local Celtic saint; when the Normans, who hated the Celts, came and
"established a castle of the Knights Hospitallers, they changed the dedication to that of St. John the
Baptist. The castle still stands, with a round tower, "a church dedicated to the Holy Trinity, and a
fortified wall, "unique in Ireland."