The 75 Fiefs & Seigneuries of Guernsey (
Above is a 577 Year old Title Deed
Transfer for the Fief Blondel in Guernésiais - Grant of the fief of Thomas Blondel in the parishes of
St Peter of the Wood and Torteval, Guernsey, made by Janet Blondel to Thomas de la Court on 18 July 1440, attested
by Jean Bonamy and Jacques Guille, jurats. Copy purchased from the University of Leeds.
There are 25 private Seigneurs of Feifdoms in the old
Viking Norman Islands of Guernsey and Sark :
1) List of The
Private Fiefs of Guernsey
1-Le Comte, Bruniaux-de-Nermont (*), Philippes (*), Cour,
Grantez, Longues, Reveaux, Rozel, Fouquees, Bequepee, Chapelle-de- St-Georges, Saumarez au Castell, Coltons,
Gohiers, Fortescu, Janin Besnard, Cantereine, Guillot Justice, Bouvee Duquemin.
2-Sausamez (*), a Saint Martin, Hailla (1/3)
3- Fantome (*), Domaine-de-Dom-Hue
10-Henry de Vaugrat (*)
11-Bruniaux (*) a Saint-Martin
13-Beuval, Massy Gros.
17-Lucas Arnault & Dom Jean Le Moigne
20- Fief Blondel (Private Fief of Thomas Blondel)
21-Robert de Vicq
25. Fief de L'eperon - A dependency fief of the Fief
(this means 24 private Seigneurs totalling 46
During the Ancien Régime, Frankish Norman baronies were
very much like Scottish ones. Feudal landholders were entitled to style themselves baron if they were nobles; a
roturier (commoner) could only be a seigneur de la baronnie (lord of the barony). In Scandanavian Countries, Baron
is used orally, while it is written as Friherre. The word baron was not used until after the Free-Holder Fiefs of
Guernsey were established.
Sir Thomas Innes of Learney in his 'Scots Heraldry' (2nd
Ed., p. 88, note 1) states that 'The Act 1672, cap 47, specially qualifies the degrees thus: Nobles (i.e. peers,
the term being here used in a restricted seventeenth-century English sense), Barons (i.e. Lairds of baronial fiefs
and their "heirs", who, even if fiefless, are equivalent to heads of Continental baronial houses) and Gentlemen
(apparently all other armigers).' Baronets and knights are evidently classed as 'Gentlemen' here and are of a lower
degree than Barons.
The Fief de Beuval is held by six persons and the Fief
de la Riviere is hold by nine persons.
2) List of Fiefs Owned by the
Crown holdings Fiefs:
1-Le Roi (*)
5- Rue-Frairie (* Croix de St. Leufroy)
13-Rozel a St. Pierre Port
14-Franc manoir le Marchant
16-Huit Bouvees (Begueville). Torteval
17-Huit Bouvees. St. Pierre-du-Bois.
19-Suart, Pomare, Leree, Herne, Rougier
25-Dix Quartiers Blondel
27-Jean du Gaillard
(*) Fiefs owing suit at Royal Court Chief
(IV) The Seigneurial titles of Guernsey
As commented above, in 1020 Duke Richard II divided Guernsey diagonally in two
halves, granting the south and east to Néel, Vicomte of the Cotentin, and the west to Anchetel, Vicomte of the
Bessin. The Clos du Valle was apparently wasteland. The two initial fiefs had some vicissitudes but by the time of
the conquest of England both had returned to the families of the original holders.
Evolution of Fief du Bessin:
The Fief du Bessin consisting of the Vintaine de L’Epine, and the parishes of the
Castel, St. Saviour’s and St. Pierre-du-Bois, became known as Fief Le Comte in 1120 when Ranulf the “Vicomte du
Bessin” was created Earl of Chester. During the 12th century the fief was split into sub-fiefs: Fiez Rozel, Fief
Longues, Fief Suart and Fief Sotuas. The Fief San Michel was originated in a donation of non-arable wasteland to
the monastery of that name.
After 1204 the fief Suart divided in two parts, one went to the crown while the rest
was named fief Reveaux. The half of the Fief Suart retained by the Crown while the other half given to the Revel
family led to the emergence of the Fief de Gohiers, Fief de la Pomare and others. Agricultural developments and
sales in the Fief Le Compte originated new sub-fiefs such as Fief Groignet, Fief Carteret, Fief Grantez or Fief
Videclin. Similarly, land disposals from St. Michel accounted for the Fief Saumarez and Fief Jean du
Evolution of Fief du Cotentin:
After the Battle of Val ès Dunes (1047), Duke William II created and granted several
ecclesiastical fiefs. From 1144 to 1150 the whole island belonged to Geoffrey of Anjou. The wasteland of Fief du
Cotentin as a part of Geoffrey possessions became under his son Fief Le Roi. New sub-fiefs originated during the
11th and 12th centuries like Fief Aux Fay and Fief Burons. The Fief Au Fay was held by payment of a pair of silver
spurs and the Fief Burons by payment of a pair of gilded spurs. Both were combined as the Fief des Eperons (spurs)
with the duty of payment a pair of silver-gilt spurs.
After 1204 the Crown got some territories form previous
Norman holders that decided to render homage to France, thus loosing their island territories. That is the origin
of some fiefs such as Fief des Bruniaux, Fief Au Marchant, and Fief Hailla. Fief de Sausmarez originated in the
Fief Barneville. From St. Martin’s and associated to the defence of the Church originated Fief de la Velleresse
(velleresse from veiller = keep a watch on the coast, having this obligation)
From fief Le Roi originated Fief de Rozel formerly held by
the Cotentin family de Rosel which passed to the Crown in 1204 together with the fief granted by Duke William II to
the Abbey of Marmoutiers. Geoffrey of Anjou created about 1150 when he was developing his plans for the invasion of
England two military fiefs De Vaugrat and Bruniaux in St. Sampson’s parish. Also from this parish is Fief Anneville
granted by Henry III to Sir William de Cheny in 1248.
The evolution of the lands in the parish of Torteval is
complicated, because although initially in the Fief du Cotentin, many of its fiefs overlap into St. Pierre-du-Bois,
which is part of Fief du Bessin.
The original Fief Au Cannely (granted to the Cherbourg
family and naturally in the territory of Fief du Cotentin) has been replaced by several sub-fiefs as a result of
marriages and settlements: Fief Guillot Justice, Fief Janin Besnard, Fief de Thomas Blondel, Fief Bouvée Duquemin,
Fief Robert de Va (or de Vere ), Fief Jean du Gaillard (that passed to the Crown in early 16th Century), etc. A
perplexing overlapping of territories thus emerged. By 1248 the distribution of the fiefs was much as at present
The dovecote of fief Au Canely. The Seigneur has the
right to get there by foot or by horse by day or by night.
The number of Guernsey fiefs have remained
unchanged since the XIV century.
The titles have been kept in some cases in the same
families for years (Sausamez). All 75 Seigneuries are perfectly documented; this is not the case with other Channel
Islands titles. In January 2004, 24 private Seigneurs hold 46 Seigneuries that means that some Seigneurs hold more
than one title. Two more Seigneures (Riviere and Beuval) are held by more than one person and the additional 27
fiefs belong to the Crown. The title is transferred by conveyance. The transfer must be in accordance with Guernsey
practice. That means that the testament or conveyance must be done in accordance with the Guernsey law. The
document is registered at HM Greffe
The number of Guernsey fiefs has remained
unchanged since the 14th century. The titles were kept in some cases, the same families ans (Sausamez). All 75
Lordships are perfectly documented; This is not the case with the other titles of the Channel Islands. In January
2004, 24 Private Lords hold 46 Lordships which means that some Lords stall more than one title. Two more Seigneures
(Riviere and Beuval) are held by more than one person and the fiefs of 27 others belong to the Crown. The title is
transferred by means of transport. The transfer must be consistent with Guernsey's practices. This means that the
will or the means of transport must be made in accordance with the Guernsey Law. The document is registered in the
The Fief de Thomas
The Private & Free Fief of Blondel came about through the medieval fragmentation of Fief Au
Canelly (originally part of the Fief du Cotentin) and consequently, of the initial half of Guernsey given by
Duke Richard II in 1020 to Neel, Vicomte of the
The Canelly family owned land near Cherbourg in Normandy in addition to the Guernsey territory
(There is no existing record of the grant of the fief). It may be granted to the Canely family but there is a gap
of at least 100 years before any record of that family’s connection with the fief).
1270, on the death of Sir Henry Le Canelly, the Guernsey fief was divided between his
daughters. Guilemette, the
wife of Henry de Saint Martin obtained a considerable part of the island originating later the fiefs of Janin
Besnard, Jean du Gaillard, Guillot Justice and Thomas
This was confirmed by the tenants and officers of the Fief in letters patent issued by Guernsey's
Royal Court under the Bailiwick Seal in 1463.
Traditions: For instance, the Abbot of Mont
St. Michel owed the Crown Officers three dinners a year, and the Prior of Lihou owed one to the tenants of the Fief
Jurats - A Thomas Blondel was a jurat of Guernsey’s Royal Court from 1421-45. The
Blondel family has given several jurats to the island.
Example of Grant of the fief of Thomas Blondel in the parishes of St Peter of the Wood
and Torteval, Guernsey, made by Janet Blondel to Thomas de la Court on 18 July 1440, attested by Jean Bonamy and
Jacques Guille, jurats. GRANT of BLONDEL
** If the Lord Baron Seigneur is not
available, another may be approved to serve in the place of the Seigneur as The Lord