Baron Longford Baron Annaly - Feudal Barons

Lonford Barony EagleCrossCrownHammer  Branden Irish_norse-CoinBlondelCrestMeath Normandy  LongfordSealHeader


Grants to Nugents Earls of Westmeath and Parliamentary Barons Delvin

There are several Longford and (Pre Longford Westmeath) Grants in the History of Longford related to "court baron", frank pledge, senachals, that were granted to Lord Delvin and the Nugent family.

Many of the grants in Longford to Baron Delvin were "in Capite" forever, or for military service and knights fees.

These grants even contained "Market and Fair" rights with rights to courts in Longford.

Other grants to Baron Delvin include major land grants in capite from the Commission of the Plantation of Longford.

Kings and Queens over Westmeath

Richard II - 1377-1399
Henry IV - 1399-1413

Henry V 1413-1422
Henry VI 1422-61
Edward IV 1461-70
Henry VI 1470-71
Edward IV 1471-1483
Edward V 1483
Richard III 1483-85
Henry VIII  1485-1509
Edward VI 1547-1553
Philip & Mary 1553-58

Longford becomes a county in 1586

' VLV.—-27. Grant from the King to Mary, lady Delvin, widow .of lord Christopher, and her son sir Richard Nugent, baron of .Delvin -  Westmeath or Longford, Co.    The site of the late monastery or Priory of Cannons of the Holy-Island, all the buildings and 2 q" of land within the said site thereof—Darrenye and Dirrenegellsgh, 2 q" each, containing 80‘ arable, 10‘ pasture, ,10‘ underwood, and 80‘ be -in Sruhir, 1 q' containmo 20‘ .arable, and 10‘ pasture—in C arue, l qr containing 80‘ arable and 10‘ wood and underwood—in Kerowbeg , 2 q"I containing 60‘ arable, and 80‘ bog and pasture—in Kerowmore, 1 q' containing 30‘ arable, and 15‘ underwood—in Cashell, 2 q" containing 60‘ arable, and 80‘ wood and pasture—in Kerovantie, 1 q‘ containing 80‘ arable and 10‘. wood and pasture—the rectories, 'vicarages, tithes and   hereditaments of Rathline and Cashell—the' vicarages and tithes of Sruhir, Killire, Killnomer, and Kilronen, and the tithes of the rectories—the tithes of the lands of Dirreine and Dirrenegealagh; parcel of the estate of the said prior ; demised in reversion to Christopher lord Delvin, 10 June 28‘h liz. for 80 years at 21l 9‘ 0d Ir.—Westmeath  Co’. The town or hamlet of Hilton, with 2 messuages, 8 cottages, 240‘ arable, pasture, meadow, and beg; parcel of the estate of the late Friary of Fower; ,valued at 2‘ 13‘ 4‘ by the year.—Longford, Co’. A castle and certain lands containing 1 cartron or the 4“ part of a carucate in Monilagan; parcel of the estate of Rory Bane M“ Laughlin, attainted ; valued at 8‘ Ir.—in Aughengor, 1} cartron; parcel of the estate of Morogh O’Farrell and Connor M‘ Auly of the same, attainted; valued at 1‘ 4d Ir.—the castle of Newton, and a moiety of 8 cartrons in Corbally and Newton; parcel of the estate of Lisau h Dufi'e O’Farroll of Corballye, attainted; valued at 3‘ 4d Ir.—t e moiet of 1 cartron in Newton and Corbally; parcel of the estate of rian Mc Shane, late of Newton, attainted; valued at 1‘ 4‘ Ir.—an island and half a cartron called the Cloninge, or Cloning; parcel of the estate of Cahell O’Farroll of the same, attainted; valued at 2‘ 6d—the castle of the Monte and 5 cartrons there; parcel of the estate of Rossey O’Farroll, valued at 13‘ 4" Ir.-the castle and 2 cartrons of Lisnevoa, valued at 6‘ Ir.—in  Killenlassaragh or Killenasaragh, 46l—in Ballim‘karmick, 86'; all being parcels of the estate of the said Rosse O’Farroll, valued at 30’—in Bealamore, l cartron, and the lough of Mill-Heade near Granardkille; parcel of the estate of Gerald Mc Teige, attaintcd; valued at 2’ 6d.——WESTMEATH Co’. In Clonlonan Bar. In Monkston; near. Balliloghlo 2 small cartrons, each containing 1 carueate; parcel of the estate of the abbey of Larha, in Longford co..6‘ 8d lr.—Total rent 271 12‘ 4“ Ir.— To hold forever in fee farm as of the castle of Dublin, in common socage, and tomaintain upon these premises two able horsemen of the English nation, or born within the Pale, for the defense of the. kingdom—7 Dec. 3'“.


Reference and Citation

LXXXIII.—-17. Grant from the King to Mary lady Delvin, widow, and sir Rich. Nugent lord Delvin her son. Longford  Co’.The site, Ste. of the late monastery of Inchemore otherwise Iuismorc in the Annalie—a cemetery containing 1} an acre in the island of lnismore—G cottages, and 6a of pasture in the said island—5 messuages, 80‘ of arable, 130a mountain asture, 20“ wood, and 24-‘ bog in Castle-Richard, the demesne 0 said monastery—5 cotta es, 9Oa arable, 60‘ mountain pasture, and 121 underwood, in Bal intoll; rent 6l 14" 8d Ir. CAVAN Co’. In Moydristen, 2 polls; in Uniard, 1 poll, each poll containing 2gallons, and each gallon containing 2 pottles ofland according to the custom and computation of' the country; lately in the occupation of Tirleo h M° Thomas O’Relye of' 1\loydristen, gent. attainted—l oll cal ed Incheloghtlavan in the town and fields of L0 hdavan-Ed ergaowen, lately in the occupation of Tho. Reogh ° Shane O’Rely . of the same, gent. attainted—in Clonwishe, 1 poll; in Callanagh, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of James M‘ Connor O‘Rely of Calanagh, ent. attainted—in Lisnelonge, 1 gallon, lately in the occupation of John and Terence McCahill O’Rer of the same, attainted —in Cromroe, 1 gallon; lately in the occupation of' Philip O’Rely of Dromoroe, attainted—in Tauney, 2 polls; lately in the occupation of Connor 1V1c Tirlagh O’Rer ol' the same, gent. attainted ; in Downaven, 1 poll; in Cwyll, 1 poll; in Tawlaght, 1 poll; in Kilgonla, the third part of the two polls; in Portneholl, an island and 2 polls; lately in the occupation of Mulmore M° Prior O’Rely, of Downaven, gent. attainted—in Moyenagh, 2 polls; in Clonlou ban, 2 polls; in Karga hally, 1 poll; in Enhernan, 1 poll; in l‘errenstire, 1 poll; in g‘righdufl'e, 1 poll, lately in the occupation of Philip Mc Prior O’Reyly of Moyenagh, attainted—in Carnaght, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of Hugh M° Prior O’Reyly of the same, attainted—in Lackan, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of Connor oge Mc Prior O’Reyly of Lackan, attainted—in Garrimore, 2 polls; in Carg hclyevan, 3 pottlcs; latel in the occupation of Ferrall oge M‘ errall Mc Prior and Tirla Mantagh Mc Ferrall O’Reyly ol'Garrimore, gent. attainted—in l‘edichan, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of Brian O’Gowen of the same, attainted—in. Aghoeleyeightragh, 8 pottles; in Kilgoala, the third part of two polls; in Drombryne, 1 gallon; in Carry, 1 gallon; in Annaghgare, 8 gallons; lately in the occupation of Bryan O’Rel otherwise Brian Echoggie, Mulmorie Mc Hugh, Cahill Mc Hugh and Eugene or Owen Mc Hugh O’Rely of' Aghoeleyeitragh, gent. attainted—in Mullaghworan, 2 polls; lately in the occupation of Phelim Mc Carber O’Reyly, Hugh Mc Phelim O’Rely and Cahir Mc Edmond Reyley ot' Mullaghworan, gent. attainted—in Kiltecadren, 1 gallon; in Dromlave, 1 gallon; in Carrikenebrocke in L0 [igvo , 1 gallon; lately in the occupation of Donald Mc Richard ’ eyl'y of' Kiltecadren, gent. attainted—in Lisdromleyen, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of Glasney Mc Cab of the same, gent. attainted —in Dromcon, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of Neal M‘ Symon, Ferrall MC Symon, and Rich. Mc Symon of Dromcon, ent. attainted—in Aghowy, 2 polls, and in Dirrin, 1 poll; latg in the occupation of Philip O’Lincy, Ferrall O’Lincy, and eoffrey O’Lincy of Aghowy, gent. attainted—in Munery, 2polls; lately in the occupation of Thomas O’Shiridan, Nicholas O’Shiridan, and Connor O’Shiridan of Munery, gent. attainted—in Toghir, 1 gallon; in Derrivany, 1 gallon, and in lnche, 1 gallon; lately in the occupation of William O’Shereden of Togher, gent. attainted— in Derrenedoyne, 4- polls; lately in the occupation of Teige MC Coconoght O’Lincy of the same, gent. attainted—in Gortneshan ane, 2polls—in Dromcorry, l poll—in Corviclthall, l poll—in isnelouge, 1 poll, and in Corrilinan, l poll; lately in the occupation of Mulmory Mc Hugh Connelogh O'Rely of Gortneshangan, attainted—in Dromvaddy, 3 polls, and in Cornemi han, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of Terence or Tirlagh M‘Ll'lugh Conno10 h O’Reyly of Dromvaddy, gent. attainted—in Cornerallagh, l l; in Aghollagh, 1 poll, and in Dromlie and Lisdoran, 2 polls; ately in the occupation of' John Mc Enrowe ol' Cornerallagh, gent. attainted—in Molla hcastle, 4- polls; lately in the occupation of Hugh Duf‘f‘e O’Rey y of the same, gent. attaintetl—in Dromnesclyne, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of John Roe M‘ Connor O’Reyle of the same, gent. attainted—in Killnecroitt, a castle and 2 polls; In Lisdonbryne, 1 poll; in Lisnevlaskagh, 1 poll; in Aghovonan, 1 poll; in Dromrovorrogh, 2 polls; in Cloggagh, 2 polls; in Rossane, 2 polls; in Coulchill, 2 polls; in Ballilinche otherwise Barconny, 2 polls; and in Killenvarney near Cavan, 2 oils; lately in the occupation of Ed. M‘Mulmory O’Reyly, Cahir h c Edmund, Philip Mc Edmund, Tirlagh Galte M‘ Edmund, Owen Mc Edmund, Brian M“ Edmund, Tirleogh Iverin Mc Edmund O'Reyly of Killnecroitt, ent. attainted—in Liecharie, 2 polls; lately int e occupation of gohn Mc Owen and Cahir Mc Owen O’Reyly of' the same. gent. attainted—in Dromgill, 1 poll; latel in the occupation ol'Eugene or Owen Mc Philip oge O’Reyly of the same, attainted—in 'illnecurr, 2 polls; and in Loynogg and Killnenamnee, 2 polls; lately in the occupation of Cahir Mc Shane, Owen boy Mc Shane, and Cahell Mc Shane O’Reyly of Kilnecurr, gent. attainted—in Lislengh, 2 polls; lately in the occupation of Cahell Mc Cahir boy 0’ eyly of the same, attainted—in Dorrelahin, 1 poll; lately in the occupation of Connor Mc Edmund bo O’Reyly, gent. attainted —in Dorrelahin, 2 other polls; lately int e occupation of Cahir M‘ Brian Mc Richard O’Reyly of' the same, attainted; rent l2l 18' 8", together with 16 good and fat beovcs at All Saints. “'EST' MEATH Co’. A parcel called Ferrenemannagh in the Strade, containing 15'; rent 1' 4d; Ferrenemannagh near Coole, 30‘; both lately in the occupation of ChristOpher, late lord Delvin; rent 5'. Roscomuon Co'. In Roscommon Bar. The termon or hospital called 'l‘ermonbarry or T ermon-Varra, containing 4 q"; rent 1' 4' 0d. CORK Co'. The ruinous castle, town, and lands of' Kildeynin (Cill Daighnín/Kildinan | , containing 1 earuc. Glannygall, 1} caruc. Geyrhoy, Q caruc. T ornoge, § caruc. parcel of the estate of David Fitz-Robert Barry, attainted—the ruinous castle, town, and lands of Balliwallishamore, containing 1 caruc. parcel of the estate of DavidM‘ Edm. Mc Philip Barry, attainted—Belliwallishabegg, containing l small caruc. Rathgiere, 1.; caruc. parcel of the estate of Philip Fitz-Thomas Fitz-Nicholas Barry—Baliidinlea, lying within the town of Clonah, and c0ntaining i caruc. rent ll 16' 8". DUBLIN and \Viicxaow Co'. The religious house or chapel called o‘ Fynnan's chapel, with the site, containing 1‘ of small measure, surrounded with a ditch within the town of Clonagh; all the buildings upon the said acre, and a small close eastward of the house, with the appurtenances in Killowan, Staghnevin, Lisnekill, and Oldbane; parcel of the estate of John Burnell of Ballgrtffin, attainted; rent 1' 8' 4“. DUBLIN CITY. A house called the Francke-house in Winetavern~street near Christ-church, to the N. with all the cellars, backsidcs, Sic. parcel of the estate of' the late hospital of S‘ John of Jerusalem; rent 7' 6“. DONEGAL, 81.100, and FanMANAGE Co'. The creek, bay, river, or flood of' Ballishannon, viz. from the sea to the salmon-leap, near the castle, with the said salmon-lea ; all pools, islands, rocks, soil, fishings, Ste. therein; an eel-weir ca led O’Donnell’s weir in the river Earne; rent 6' 13' 4°. MEATH Co’. Two caruc. of' land in Rath near Plateyne otherwise Balliregan, Crogh, and Inchefall; parcel of the estate of the late monasteries of Duleeke and Mellifont; rent_l7' Sky—m Cashellstowne, 80‘; parcel of the estate of John Rudlpacke of Killerie; rent 8'. WESTMEATH Co’. Ten messuages, 200a arable, 20‘ meadow, 60a pasture, 20‘ hog, and 20a wood or underwood in_ Killockennaghan; parcel of' the estate of the late monastery of Order; rent ll 6‘ 8“. WICKLOW Co’. I Ballmemoney, § earuc. or cowland; parcel of the estate of the late monastery of 5‘ John of Jerusalem; rent 65 8d. CORK CITY-‘ The old broken and ruinous castle on the quay of Cork upon the town Wall; the ancient estate of the Crown; rent 3’. Loaoronn _Co’. The castle, bawne, town, and lands of Liserdawle otherwise Lisserdowle, with 8 cartrons of land surrounding the same; rent 1'. Kmo’s Co’. A castle, 200a arable and pasture in Balltcorbctt, Drymone, Ballithomas, Clonmacry, and Ballichough; parcel of the estate of' the O’Connors; rent 2' 10‘ Od._To hold to lady Delvin and to Richard, lord Delvin, her son, and to his heirs forever, as of the castle of Dublin, in common soccage.—20 Jul. 7‘“.

Castle Loughshillen


IV.—8. Grant from the king to Will. Nugent. MEAT}! Co’. The castle, town, and lands 0 osse near Loughshillen, containing 180“ arable, with the meadow and pasture thereto belonging— Callendrogh near Rosse, containin 60“ arable, with the meadow and pasture thereto belongin . ESTMEATH Co’. Kilpatricke and Dromederi e, 60“ arab c, with d°—Robinston, near Eigbla, 4'0“ arable, wit the meadow, underwood, and pasture thereto belonging; with a pardon of alienation and intrusion to said Will. Nugent and Jenet his wife, forfeited by his attainder.—To hold in caplte, by the 20“h part of a knight’s fee, to his heirs male, remainder to the right heirs of Richard, late baron of Delvin, his {amen—5 Mar. 5'".


Reference and Citation

Coreboy & Lissenoannagh – Court Baron - Capite and Military Service  - Grant to Thomas Nugent, 4th Earl of Westmeath, one of the commissioners for Plantation of Longford in 1620 


IK. 29. — " Grant under the commission for the plantation of Longford, to Thomas Nugent. — Longford County.  The town and lands  of Corroboymorej Correyboybegg, Agbenteskin, Carrickmacinleney, Fyermore, Agbencownalle, alias Aghenitanvally, Lissenuske, Killoge,  Keallragb, Clennenegenny, Lenemore, and Corlukillog, 643a. pasture,  and 46a. bog and wood, excepting thereout tbe lands of Ballenegoshenagb, 96a., and Ballygarnett, 296a. pasture, and 43a. bog and  wood ; Cornemow, 50a. pasture, and 6a. bog and wood,

barony of Longford; the castle and lands of Lissenoannagh, 113a. pasture, and 24a. bog and wood, barony of Granard ; Clonedarramner and Annaghguillen,  

32a. pasture, and 298a. bog and wood ; Clonf elym, Clonynbegg, Diryushy, and DerrycuUm, 30a. pasture, and 137a. bog and wood,  

barony of Longford. To hold in capite, by military service ; rent for the 1,164a.  pasture, £12 2s. 6d., Engl., and for the 554a. bog and wood, lis. 6jd.  

Those lands created the manor of Correboymore, with court leet and  view of frank-pledge and court baron ; with power to appoint seneschals  and other officers, with jurisdiction in all actions for covenant and trespass where the damages do not exceed 40a., Ir. ;  with power to make tenures ; to have free warren ; to enjoy all escheats.  


II.—6. Grant from the king to William Nugent, son of Richard, late Lord Delvin, and Janet Marward (tuite) Nugent his wife. BATH Co’. The 5 messuages, 220a arable meadow and pasture, and 31a wood in Santrifie—ll-a of meadow, called the baron’s meadow in Santrefi'e aforesaid—Sturmenston, 120‘ arable, wood, meadow, and pasture— both the Balbouchers, 80‘ d°, without wood—Ma hasten or Mayackston, 160' d°—both Ballicurries, 137a arab e, meadow and pasture—Shillicocke, 120' d°—certain messuages and tenements, and 140‘ arable and pasture in Asheburnerathe—certain lands near the wood of Coolocke, called the Thirty Acres, formerly in the tenure of Robert Usher, of Santry, by grant of Walter Marwood, baron of (Skryne) Skrine, and John Tuite, rector of Killobagh of said Walter—the hamlet of Beoford, 10'—in Ballisrowan, 60‘ arable, 3%“ meadow, and 211:“ pasture, now or formerly in the occupation of Robert Gavan for a term of years—in Brecknanston, 69' arable, 7‘ pasture, 2‘ furze, and 2‘ meadow, now or formerly in the occupation of John Jordan of Hilton—a water-mill and water-course there, now or formerly in the occupation of Nicholas Savage for a term of years—in Garslogh, Kinawde, and Knockesidane, 100' arable, 8a pasture, and 2‘ meadow, now or late in the occu ation of John Luttrell of Rathenny, for a term of years—in ulcogthe, 4-0‘ arable, 4i“ meadow, and 16a pasture, now or late in the occupation of Edmond Bian for a term of years—in Stradbally of Fieldston, 68“ arable, la meadow, and 6‘ pasture, now or late in the occupation of John Morgh for a term of years—in Baldwenston, 20‘ arable, now or late in the occupation of Richard White fora term of years—in Barbieston and Colwelston, 87‘ arable, 5‘ meadow, 7‘l pasture, and 1‘ furze; out of those the archbishop of Dublin has a chief rent of II 18' 4“ Ir.-in Pickerston, 53a arable, 5' pasture, and 2' meadow—the hamlet and lands of Coltree, now or late in the tenure of the lord of Dunbroo for a term of years-out of Collenston, the chief rent of 1‘2“—out of Dardeston, 6d—out of 2 messuages, and 4-0‘ in Santrilfe, called Goldingsland, ltd—out of Dibbore, 6' ; total, 8' 8d MEAT}! Co’. The manor of Skrine, with all its members, viz.—in Skrine, 260‘, 10‘ of which lie near Prowteston-Gate, and ,3“ are in the tenure of Richard Cusacke of Lismollin—also, 100‘ of pasture there, with Le Reiskes and Coneyburrow—30a meadow, 8‘ of which are in the tenure of Richard Cusack, called the Baron’s Meadow, and another acre of said meadow, lately enclosed by a tenement of said Richard Cusacke; and another acre of d° lying without the ditch ofthe Cone burrow; another acre of said meadow, on which Peter Dillon m e a milltache; another acre of said meadow near Obcrslon, called No Man’s acre—a messuage in Skrine aforesaid, parcel of the manor aforesaid—a close called Rowe’s parke—a close called the Baron’s parke—a close called Rocher’s park—out of Johnston, 6' 8d chief rent—out of Little Mortem, d°—out ofThorneton, 18' 4-d—out'of Skrine, 3‘--out of Annoston, 3‘ ltd—out of Thorneton in Lismollen, 3‘—out of Taillor’s gardens in Skrine, 2‘ 9d—out of Toppts land in Skrine, a pound ofpepper—out of Mayeston, Qd—Out of Killine, 40' royal service when scutage runs—out of Castleton in Taveragh, 20‘ d°—Out of Cobiston, the like—out of Cowleston, the like—out of Obriston, § mark royal service--out of Cusackeston, 20' d°-out of Sledendulfe, 18' 4“ d°—out of Aghlumpney, 4-0' do—out of Daneston, the like—out of Downeston, 20' d°-out of the lands and tenements of Edm. Hay of Skrine, 4-“ d°—out of Walterston, 8' 8“ d°—out of Obriston, 6' B“ d°—out of Gerrardston, 2' d°—out of Marshalston, 13' 4“ d°--out of Stafi'ordstown, 20' d°—-out of Gillowestown, 5' d°—out of Corbally, 5' d°— out of Prowteston, 2' d°—out of Rosse, 6' 8d d°—out of Tronnockeston, 2' d°—-out of Garranbaneston, 2‘ d“; all parcels of the said manor—both the Kilkarnes, containin 34-0“ arable, 14‘l meadow, and 14-0“ pasture—in Seon, 2‘ arab e, called the Baron of Scrine’s 2'—in Seon, 2' arable, called the Church acres.—The premises were the estate of Jenet Marwood, the wife, and were forfeited by the attainder of the said William Nugent for high treason, during his life, but they were restored by this atent, because they had issue living at the time of the attainder.— o maintain 3 archers on horseback to serve in all general hostings within Dublin and Meath cot—To hold to them, and the heirs of said Jenet for ever. To hold Sauntrifl'e, Sturminston, the Ballibouchers, Mayhaston, otherwise Mayackston, lelicurries, Shillicocke, and Ballisrowan, the said manor of Skrine, and both the Killtarnes, in capite, by one knight’s fee, and to hold all the rest of the premises of the chief lords of the fee by the usual services.—15 Mar. 5‘“.  


LX. 21. — " King's letter to Sir Richard Nugent, Lord Delvin, doubting lest there might be omission or misrecital in former letters  patent, and that in order that he may securely and quietly enjoy his possessions, to have a new grant of the late dissolved monastery or  abbey of Inchmore, alias Inishmore, in the County of Longford, and the  late dissolved priory and manor of FORE or Fower, in the County of Westmeath, and all his other lands and tenements, subject to such tenures, rents, and services as they appear of record formerly to have been subject to —  


1552- Grant to Nugent - Friars of the Order of St. Dominick  Longford County Domincan Convent - THE Convent of Longford was founded in the year 1400, for Dominicans, by O'Ferrall, Prince of Annaly. # This house had been celebrated for the number of its learned men, three of whom, Connor, Diarmed and Henry Duffe M“Fechehan, became victims to the general plague which raged throughout Ireland in 1448.

This place did not exist longer than the year 1580, because we find it recorded that this monastery, with certain lands attached, was granted in the fourth year of the reign of Philip and Mary — that is, about the year 1552 — to one Richard Nugent and his heirs, in capite, for ever.


There is a difference of opinion as to the exact site of the old monastery of " Longford-ui-Fearghail." My own opinion is that it existed on the banks of the Camlin, and that its remains are those stand- ing in Templemichael glebe. However, I have seen it stated in an old work, as a matter of known fact, that the present Protestant church is built on the site of the old monastery, and that the old building referred to was the abbey church. Even if this be true, it can in no way detract from the interest that must attach to this latter structure, for, of course, it must be a cotemporary erection with the abbey built in 1400.

St Brigid Priory – County Longford - Crown Grant to Lord Baron Delvin in 1557 

In the course of the sixteenth century the balance of power between the O’Ferralls and the Dublin administration began to shift: in 1552 Faghny O’Ferrall was granted English liberty.37 St Brigid’s Priory was dissolved and was the first property in Longford to be the subject of a crown grant when in 1556–7 it was given to Richard Nugent, Baron of Delvin.  

THE Convent of Longford was founded in the year 1400, for Dominicans, by O'Ferrall, Prince of Annaly. # This house had been celebrated for the number of its learned men, three of whom, Connor, Diarmed and Henry Duffe M“Fechehan, became victims to the general plague which raged throughout Ireland in 1448. During the sixteenth century, eight town-lands, situated in the County of Longford, being parcel of the possessions, were granted for ever, in   capite,   to Richard Nugent

1552 Grant of AbbeyLara  - The Cistercian Abbey in 1552 To Richard Nugent Baron Delvin.  The AbbeyLara was probably founded in c.1210
It is traditionally told that Richard Nugent, better known as the Black Baron of Bobsgrove near Mountnugent, gave this monastery its final death stroke. And the following extract gives a colour of truth to this tradition : —
11 IV. and V. Year 1557 Philip and Mary. This monastery (Abbeylara),%20Longford.html   situated in Le Annaly and the COUNTY LONGFORD. 9 lands of Tonaghmore, Raicola,* Cowldony, Clon- crawe,f Derraghe and BellamaneJ alias Bally- managhe in Le Annaly, with two cartrons of land in Lickebla, parcel of the possessions of the said monastery, were granted for ever in capite to Richard Nugent, royalties excepted."  Year 1552?

Reference and Citation

AbbeyLara  - The Cistercian Abbey of AbbeyLara was probably founded in c.1210 by Risteárd 'Dubh' de Tuite, son of Richard Tuite an Anglo/Norman lord who built the Motte and Bailey settlement at Granard. The abbey was colonised with monks drawn from St Mary's Abbey in Dublin. Edward Bruce, brother of Robert Bruce plundered the abbey in 1315. Very little of the building survives today, just the central crossing tower with the adjoining parts of the north and south walls of the church and a winding staircase. On the south wall of the crossing tower is a badly weathered 15th century Sheela-na-gig, pictured left. These are female exhibitionist figures displaying exaggerated vulvas. They are usually found on churches and castles in Ireland where about 100 examples exist. By the 15th century the abbey was held by the O'Farrell family. The last abbot was Richard O'Farrell who surrendered the monastery and its lands to Henry V111 who dissolved the abbey in 1540.
** Baron - In 1532 Richard Nugent, 12th Baron of Delvin (the Black Baron) built Ross Castle on the southern shore of Lough Sheelin on the site of an earlier O'Reilly castle.


Dungannon Franciscan Friary – Grant by King James to Richard Nugent 1611

Dungannon Friary 

Franciscan Friars, Third Order Regular  
founded c.1489 by Con O'Neal

(Con McHenry McOwen);
dissolved 1607; granted to Richard Nugent,

Baron of Delvin 1611  



VIII. 17.-—“ Grant from the King to Richard, Lord Baron of Delvin. —Longford County. The lands of Smere, 215a. of pasture, 147a. bog and wood, and 282a. of mountain; Cornedronee, 92a. pasture, and 206a. bog and wood; Rosseduife, Drumshanaly, and Faghowry, 1,000a. pasture, and 332a. bog and wood; Doonbeggan, 69a. pasture, and 66a. bog and wood; Cleynragh, 137a. pasture, and 100a. bog and wood; Birrenagh and Crott, 265a. pasture, 75a. wood and bog, and 197a. mountain; Aghagagh and Dromowry, 1 cartron and quarter, 230a. pasture; Aghekine and Lisgarry, 228a. pasture, and 106a. bog and wood ; Agherclogh, 7 8a. pasture, and 55a. bog and wood, with a common and a mountain belonging to the above lands, 212a. pasture and 638a. mountain; Ballyranell and Coolegawen, 50a.; Ballyneraghan, 111a.; Portegurtenwoghtragh, 50a. ; Portegurtenyeightragh, 50a.; Cartronvore, 27a. pasture, and 84a. bog and wood; also the lands of Creeve, adjoining the lands of Ballyneraghan; total, 2,970a. pasture, 2,288a. bog, wood, and mountain; rent, pasture lands, £ 30 7s. 8§d., Engl.; bog and wood, £4 15s. 4d. To hold in capite, by military service, with a provision that the said Richard, Lord Baron of Delvin, is not to assume the name, style, or title of ‘ the Great O’Farrall,’ in giving or paying any rent, taxation, or service, or divide the lands before mentioned according to the Irish custom of gavelkind, otherwise this patent to be wholly void.—All the lands granted under the commission for the plantation of Longford and Ely O’Carroll’s territory, are subject to the covenants set out in Art. N 0. 11. 17th.”

  LONGFORD CAVAN Grant 1597 - Queen Elizabeth - Letters Patent to Longford - Annaly - 100 Pounds Sterling Equivalent - Granted to  Lord Delvin or his Assigns In Capite - Knights Service

Elizabeth R. 56. The Queen to the Lord Deputy and the Lord Chancellor. Year 1597

Right trustie and well beloved, we greet you well: we are pleased to grant  to our right trustie and well beloved, the Baron of Delvin, his heirs and assigns, in fee-farm, our castles, manors, lands, tenements, tithes, and other hereditaments whatsoever, which shall be found by office (inquisition), or other sufficient matter of recorde, to have been the possessions and lands of such persons as have been slayne in actual rebellion against us, sithence the twentieth day of June, in the five-and-thirtieth year of our reign, or of such rebels as hereafter shall be attainted for like cause, and situate in the country of Breny, called the countie of Cavan, or in the countrie of the Anally, called the countie of Longforde, or in both, amounting to the cleare yearly value of one hundred pounds of lawful money of England, at the choice of the Baron, his heirs and assigns, if the same shall be by you thought meete to be passed from us, and not found fit to be reserved in our hands for the use of any garrison or fortification; according to such rents, compositions, and services, as the premises shall appear to have been heretofore helde of us, if any suche shall be founde upon the records of our Exchequer, or else upon reasonable survey to be taken for us, according to the course of our Exchequer in like cases; wherefore our will and pleasure is, and we do authorize and require you, when the Lord of Delvin, his heirs or assigns, or any for him or them, shall bringe unto you any note or notes of any such lands or hereditaments in the counties of Cavan and Longford, then ye shall give him, his heirs and assigns, means, from time to time, to have the just particulars thereof at the hands of our auditor there; and thereupon cause, by advice of our learned Council, one or more books of so much of the castles, manors, lands, tenements, tithes, and hereditaments, as shall amount to the value of £1 oo, current money of England, in the counties of Cavan and Longford, to be granted from us, our heirs and successors, in fee-farm, to the said Lord of Delvin, his heirs and assigns for ever, by letters patent under our Great Seal of Ireland ; reserving to us, our heirs and successors, such rents, compositions, and services yearly, as shall be founde by office, survey, or recorde, to have been heretofore paid, or to be hereafter meete to be reserved for any of the said lands and hereditaments, proportionably to the quantity of the lands and hereditaments, unto us or our predecessors; To be holden of us, our heirs and successors, by knight's service, in capite ; with a provisoe to be inserted in such letters patent of the lands to be made to the Baron, that he shall not alienate them, or any part of them, to any of the meere Irishrie or others, who shall not be of English descent; and also we require you, our Council, the Barons of the Exchequer, and all other our officers, to whom it shall appertain, to further the Baron, his heirs and assigns, in the expedition of this our grant  : further, for that we have been advertized by you of the chargeable and valorous service of the Baron, during the late rebellion, and of his sufficiencye therein to do us service, and as we understand from him, that for the prosecution of the rebells, which we intend, our forces must be used and employed in his country, we do, therefore, thiuk it fit, and so require you, that of our forces which shall be in our pay, some parte may be assigned to his charge and governmente, either of horse or foote, as you, with the advice of our Council, shall find to be answerable to his degree, ability, and good deserte.”—Palace of Westminster, May 7, 39°.

Memorandum of the Lord Baron of Delvin, having on the 1st of June, in the year aforesaid, come before the Master of the Rolls, and having prayed that the preceding letter should be enrolled, it was accordingly ordered by— A. Sentleger.



Grant 1552 - Holy Island - Inchcleraun Island, Lough Ree

With the government showing little inclination to reach a more permanent settlement with the O’Farrells, Delvin led a raid across Lough Ree shortly before Christmas 1548.21 Despite opposition from the nearby Dillons, it seems that Delvin succeeded in gaining a foothold in the southern reaches of the O’Farrell lordship. In 1552 the crown granted the dissolved monastery of Holy Island, Lough Ree, to the baron, together with associated lands and tithes.22 This was more than a mundane grant of ecclesiastical land in one’s county of residence, which many peers, gentry and officials received: it must be viewed in the context of mid-Tudor expansionism. The government was willing in 1553 to nominate a ‘captain and governor’ of the O’Farrell Boy branch, yet allowed Delvin to build up a landholding profile within the branch’s sphere of influence on the banks of Lough Ree. Lord Deputy Croft and his advisors described these lands as in ‘a waste, wylde Countrey amonge the yrishe where lytle obedyence doth contynue’, but Delvin had announced his intention to fortify his new territory.23

The Baron Delvin was also granted the monastic site at Granard, in the northeast of the Annaly lordship in what is now called the County Longford; this also represented a projected expansion of English influence. Before the 15th century Granard Abbey had been an exclusively English foundation, but papal order forced it to admit Gaelic men. The house quickly lost its English identity, and fell completely under O’Farrell patronage.24 Thus Delvin’s acquisition of Granard represented an effort to reincorporate former English church lands into English society. Confirmation of the achievements of Baron Richard in enhancing the importance of his house came in 1553, when he joined O’Connor Roe in a devastating raid on the MacDermots of Moylurg, a lordship situated west of the Annaly and a considerable distance from Delvin territory.25

County Longford Monastery of Holy Island Lough Ree also Granted to Lord Delvin in 1552
Research by Powers Citation

Inchcleraun (Inis Cloithrinn) (also known locally as Quaker Island) is home to a monastery founded by St Diarmuid in 560. St Diarmaid the Just was a teacher of St. Ciaran of Clonmacnoise, one of the Twelve Apostles of Ireland. The island is said to have been named after ‘Clothra’, sister of Queen Maeve who retired to the island after her husband Ailill, Kind of Connacht, was killed in battle in the 1 st century. On the east shore of the island she built a fortified garden called ‘Grianan Maeva’ (The beautiful sunny spot of Maeve). Apparently she also died on the island at the hands her nephew who killed her while she was bathing with a lump of cheese fired from a sling shot. Today the ruins of the monastery and seven churches remain, including one church with an usual square belfry which is visible from the shore of Lough Ree (round towers were more typical of the time period).


Christopher Nugent, Baron Delvin - Captain of Slewght-William in the Annaly -  Citation



Annaly Grant King Edward 1552 -  Citation

Markets and Custom Collections for Fower and Templeton and the Priory of Annalye along with the Granard monestary along with with lands of the O'Ferralls - See Below


Templeton of Longford


Annaly Grant to Christopher Delvin of Lands in Longford and Cavan worth 100 Pounds Per Year in May 7, 1567 - Citation