Baron Longford Baron Annaly - Feudal Barons

Lonford Barony EagleCrossCrownHammer  Branden Irish_norse-CoinBlondelCrestMeath Normandy  LongfordSealHeader


Lord of St Brigits Abbey - Longford Abbey Est. 1578


Founded under the title of St. Brigit, probably by Cornelius O'Farrell, O.P., bishop of Ardagh, 1418-24, who died in the latter year and was buried in the Dominican abbey. 1429 March 15 Martin V. granted an indulgence to all the faithful who should contribute to the restoration of the church which had been destroyed by fire. Hib. Dom., p. 301. 1433. Mar. II. Eugenius IV. renewed the indulgence and in the brief mentions that the fire was caused by wars which had been going on in those parts, especially during the previous six years. The brief also states that the abbey was consumed as well as the church, and that the friars had been obliged to move elsewhere. Idem. This indulgence was renewed by the same pope five years afterwards. 1448. T

here was in this year an infectious disease of which great numbers died, amongst whom were Connor, the son of Aedhbuy O'Feargail, Diarmud M'Commay and Henry Duffe M'Fechedan, three righteous friars of the monastery of Longford O'Feargail. Annals Dud. Firbis. 1557. (4th & 5th Philip and Mary).

This abbey, situated in Le Annaly, was granted for ever, in capite, to Richard Nugent: royalties excepted. 1578. (20th Eliz.) Citation

This abbey, containing half an acre, with a house, a cottage, twenty-eight acres of land and six acres of the demesne land, with commonage to the same, was granted to Sir Nicholas Malbye, knt., and his heirs, at the annual rent of sixteen shillings. 1615. Jan. 29.

Jas. I. granted the abbey to Francis Viscount Valentia. In 1756, there were three fathers attached to the community and two in 1767. According to Dr. Troy's report in 18oo, there were probably four fathers doing parochial work for the secular clergy at that date. The obits contain the names of Father J. Weever, who died about 1797, and Father Bernard Keenan, who died before 1818. The abbey church has been in use for two centuries as the Protestant parish church.